Singapore PM’s brother won’t contest election

first_imgThe PAP – which has ruled unbroken since independence in 1965 currently holds all but six of parliament’s 89 seats and has never seen its vote drop below 60 percent.The only opposition party with seats in parliament – the Workers’ Party – has warned they face a potential wipe-out in the upcoming election where physical campaigning has been severely restricted by virus safeguards.Lee Hsien Yang, 62, was a senior business executive who had largely stayed out of the public eye before his father’s death in 2015 sparked a feud with his brother over their family home.”It would have been the most natural thing for me to have entered political office. But political leadership in Singapore needs to be much more than about one family or one man,” Lee Hsien Yang said in his Facebook post. Topics : “I have chosen not to stand for political office because I believe Singapore does not need another Lee,” Lee Hsien Yang said in a Facebook post on Tuesday, the deadline for candidates to register their intent to stand in the election.Lee Hsien Yang was earlier seen with members of his new Progress Singapore Party near the nomination center for a seat which his father held for 60 years until his death in 2015.PSP chief Tan Cheng Bock told media on Tuesday Lee Hsien Yang did not want voters to think the family dispute was his motivation for entering politics.Prime Minister Lee, 68, declined to comment on his brother on Tuesday and has previously said the election is not about family disputes.center_img The Singapore prime minister’s estranged brother said on Tuesday he will not contest the July 10 election as the city-state “does not need another Lee”.Lee Hsien Yang, who has been embroiled in a bitter family dispute with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, last week joined the opposition to the party their father, Lee Kuan Yew, led through the city-state’s independence and rise as a nation.He has made multiple criticisms of the government in recent weeks, including its decision to hold the vote during the COVID-19 pandemic, but his emergence was seen as unlikely to challenge the People’s Action Party’s tight grip on power.last_img read more

"Singapore PM’s brother won’t contest election"

McIlroy happy with Korea display

first_img However, the former world number one bounced back to score five birdies in the next 10 holes. Giving his reflections, McIlroy told oneasia.asia: “Pretty good so far. “There was a few sloppy shots, or sloppily played holes. I made the bogeys on the back nine (his first nine) which wasn’t great but most of the other stuff was actually pretty solid. I hit some good shots and made some good birdies so it was good. “I’m driving the ball very well and for the most part my iron play is pretty good, but I definitely missed a few opportunities out there. I definitely could have been a few shots better, but I’m in a good position going into the weekend and that’s all you can ask for. “After that stretch (of bogeys) today on the back nine I turned it around and played the last 10 holes in four under, so it was a pretty good effort. I was a little disappointed to bogey the last there, but it was good for the most part.” Asked about his strategy for day three, the 24-year-old added: “Just to keep playing the way I am, stay patient. I don’t need to go out there and be overly aggressive, but I just want to get myself into a good position for Sunday if possible.” The four players ahead of McIlroy are all South Korean, with Hong Soon-sang carding a bogey-free three-under-par 68 to top the leaderboard. He is on five under overall, one stroke ahead of compatriots Kang Sung-hoon, Kim Hyung-tae and Hwang In-choon, while tied fifth with McIlroy are two more home favourites – Yu Gyoung-yoon and first-round leader Jang Ik-jae. Press Association Rory McIlroy summed up his comeback performance as “pretty good so far” after the second round of the Kolon Korea Open finished with the Northern Irishman two shots off the lead.center_img The world number six, who is playing his first tournament after a month-long break, is in a tie for fifth on three under par having shot a two-under 69 on day two at the Woo Jeong Hills Country Club course near Cheonan that could have been even better had he not bogeyed on the ninth, his last. McIlroy had a topsy-turvy opening nine, with two birdies and a bogey coming in his first four holes and him then dropping a shot on three holes in a row from 14 to 16. last_img read more

"McIlroy happy with Korea display"

Coach Shields named coach of the year

first_img This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text Fenceviewer Staff Bio Fitness trainer is now cancer-exercise expert – October 12, 2014 Head coach Mark Shields of the Mount Desert Island High School football team has been named Coach of the Year by his coaching colleagues in the league. “I’m very pleased and proud, it’s well deserved,” said school student activities director Bunky Dow. “He’s very well respected and liked by the players, their parents, and other coaches. He’s good at delegating to his assistant coaches but always takes responsibility when something goes wrong.”Find in-depth coverage of local news in the Mount Desert Islander. Subscribe digitally or in print. Schoodic Grange hosting sale – October 30, 2014 Town report wins award – October 11, 2014 Latest posts by Fenceviewer Staff (see all) Latest Postslast_img read more

"Coach Shields named coach of the year"

Former swim instructor convicted of molesting girls sentenced to life in…

first_imgA former swim instructor who was found guilty last month of molesting three young girls in Deerfield Beach was sentenced Friday to life in prison.Francisco De Aragon was found guilty on all counts against him, which included one count of sexual battery on a child, three counts of lewd and lascivious molestation and one count of battery.The sexual battery on a child charge comes with a mandatory life sentence, but the judge on Friday decided to sentence De Aragon to a total of four life sentences.De Aragon pleaded Friday with the judge to see things his way.“There is no justice in this sentence,” he said. “There is no justice in putting a life sentence on a man who is innocent, and from day one until the day I die, I have always maintained and will always maintain that I did not do this. And to my accusers, I tell them the same thing that Christ demands us: ‘I forgive you.’”De Aragon testified in his trial and denied that he touched the 6-year-old girls under their bathing suits during swim lessons in 2015 at the Deerfield Beach Aquatic Center.“So why are you here?” his attorney asked him.“I have no idea. This to me — I can’t explain it,” De Aragon said.Each victim also testified, recounting similar stories about how De Aragon molested them.“The lifeguard touched my private part,” one girl said in court.Upon hearing the verdict, De Aragon cried and later mouthed, “I love you” to his wife, who was in the courtroom.He appeared unemotional Friday when he asked the judge for leniency. Prosecutor Patyl Oflazian said she was pleased with the sentence.“We’re very proud of the victims who came forward and testified in the trial,” she said. “This is a case that came down to what those three girls testified to versus the defendant’s testimony. Not only was it a fair sentence, it was a sentence that supported the evidence in the case and was required.”De Aragon previously turned down a plea deal that would have sentenced him to 25 years in prison.last_img read more

"Former swim instructor convicted of molesting girls sentenced to life in…"