Kurdish opposition TV channel’s reporter held for past week

first_img Help by sharing this information August 26, 2020 Kurdish opposition TV channel’s reporter held for past week News After the Asayish prevented him from filming and confiscated his material, he continued to cover the protest for NRT by phone connection and to film it with his smartphone, but the Asayish arrested when he returned home. NRT’s correspondent in Zakho, a city near the Turkish border, Ahmad Zakhoy was arrested by members of the Asayish (Kurdish intelligence services) and placed in detention on 19 August, since when his family has had no news of him. to go further IraqMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Imprisoned Iraq is ranked 162nd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. December 16, 2020 Find out more Receive email alerts “We call for Ahmad Zakhoy’s immediate release,” said Sabrina Bennoui, the head of RSF’s Middle East desk. “It is unacceptable that he continues to be detained and is being denied any contact with his family because he did his duty as a reporter by covering a protest with his telephone, in the absence of a camera.” Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan December 28, 2020 Find out more IraqMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Imprisoned News News RSF_en News Continuing a months-old quest to get NRT suspended, the authorities in Iraqi Kurdistan have brought a court action against the TV channel, with the result that its bureaux in Dohuk and Erbil were closed on 20 August. The authorities accuse NRT of helping to “encourage violations and anarchy, and disturb the peace in the Kurdistan region.” The first hearing in the case has been set for 9 September. Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” February 15, 2021 Find out more Organisation Neither his family nor his fellow journalists know what he is charged with or where he is being held. RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” NRT told RSF that his arrest was the result of his coverage of a protest by Kurdish drivers opposed to Turkish drivers being allowed to enter Iraqi Kurdistan via the Ibrahim Khalil border crossing. Follow the news on Iraq Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls for the immediate release of an Iraqi Kurdish reporter who has been held by the authorities in Iraqi Kurdistan for the past week, ever since he was arrested after covering a protest for the opposition TV channel NRT. last_img read more

"Kurdish opposition TV channel’s reporter held for past week"

Forestry analyst says quotabased softwood deal possible next month

first_imgMONTREAL – The framework for a 10-year softwood lumber agreement between Canada and the U.S. could be reached in the coming weeks, says an industry analyst, citing discussions with unnamed trade contacts.In a report released Thursday, Hamir Patel of CIBC World Markets said a deal setting quotas on Canadian softwood exports could be acceptable to the U.S. lumber industry if Canada drops several demands. That would include withdrawing a request that New Brunswick be excluded from any softwood agreement restrictions, Patel said.“We now believe there is a greater than 50 per cent probability that the two sides could announce an agreed-upon framework by the end of August,” he wrote.He said the U.S. Lumber Coalition could be encouraged by the Trump administration to sign a deal that would gradually reduce Canada’s share of the U.S. market to 27 to 28 per cent over several years from its 31.9 per cent share last year.A spokesman for Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland declined to comment on “rumours until a deal is reached that is favourable to both sides.” The U.S. Lumber Coalition also said it wouldn’t comment on speculation.U.S. producers would likely demand that they keep all duty deposits paid to date as compensation for 18 months of free trade since the past softwood agreement expired in 2015, Patel said. Canadian producers received back 80 per cent of their deposits in the 2006 softwood lumber agreement.The quota would likely be divided among provinces based on their historical share of the U.S. market, Patel added.A similar deal rejected by the industry about 10 days ago would have capped Canada’s share at 31 per cent in the first six months, with that falling to 29 per cent over the next 12 months until it were to reach 28 per cent in early 2022.A source close to the negotiations said the two sides were on the verge of a deal until some elements in the U.S. industry balked.The person who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak about the talks said there is little chance now of a softwood deal in place before NAFTA negotiations begin next month, with the Canadian and U.S. governments now eyeing September as the earliest date for a softwood deal to be finalized.Paul Quinn of RBC Capital Markets said information that there was a deal in the works is credible, based on his discussions with contacts in the sector.“But until you get a deal it’s all just talk,” Quinn said from Vancouver.“I’m more in the camp that it’s going to be longer than earlier,” he said. “If they don’t get anything done by Aug. 16, really this sits on the back burner until they get NAFTA done.”— With files from Mia Rabson in Ottawalast_img read more

"Forestry analyst says quotabased softwood deal possible next month"

15 Million TMobile Customers and Applicants Personal Data Exposed in Epic Experian

first_img 3 min read October 2, 2015 Free Webinar | Sept 5: Tips and Tools for Making Progress Toward Important Goals Attend this free webinar and learn how you can maximize efficiency while getting the most critical things done right.center_img T-Mobile’s CEO John Legere is angry again and this time for very good reason. A hacker has snatched the highly personal records of some 15 million current and potential T-Mobile customers in the U.S.The massive breach, first discovered on Sept. 15, 2015, impacted people who applied for credit with the telecommunications giant through Experian between Sept. 1, 2013, and Sept. 16, 2015. That’s two years’ worth of sensitive identifying data that T-Mobile uses to check credit ratings possibly making the rounds on the black market.Related: In Government Hack, the Number of Fingerprints Stolen Has Jumped to 5.6 [email protected] I get it. We’re working as fast as possible to provide a second I.D. monitoring and protection service option— John Legere (@JohnLegere) October 2, 2015The stolen information includes victims’ home addresses, Social Security numbers and birth dates along with driver’s license, passport and military I.D. numbers, among other information. More than enough crumbs for ne’er-do-wells to rip off people’s identities without trying too terribly hard.Legere broke the bad news yesterday in a post on his company’s website that aired his frustration over the incident. “Obviously I am incredibly angry about this data breach and we will institute a thorough review of our relationship with Experian,” he said, “but right now my top concern and first focus is assisting any and all consumers affected. I take our customer and prospective customer privacy VERY seriously. This is no small issue for us.”Related: Judge Allows Class-Action Lawsuit Against Target in Data BreachHe went on to assure customers that none of T-Mobile’s systems and networks were hacked and that no payment card or bank account numbers were exposed in the Experian intrusion. Experian, for its part, also noted that no banking data was swept up in the hacker’s haul.Good news: Experian encrypted the SSNs. Bad news: The encryption was “compromised”. Whoops. https://t.co/VcbEv3pJ1z pic.twitter.com/w1o7wW5qzY— Christopher Soghoian (@csoghoian) October 1, 2015Some of the pilfered data was encrypted, but Experian has determined that it may have been compromised anyway. The global financial services firm said on its website that it notified federal and international law enforcement agencies upon discovering the “unauthorized party access” to the T-Mobile data and is continuing to investigate the theft and closely monitor its systems. The identity of the hacker is not yet known and, frankly, may never be.Experian is offering those impacted by the break-in two years of free credit monitoring and identity theft resolution services.Related: 8 of the Biggest Data Breaches Ever and How They Happened (Infographic) Register Now »last_img read more

"15 Million TMobile Customers and Applicants Personal Data Exposed in Epic Experian"