December 28, 2020 Find out more to go further RSF_en February 24, 2021 Find out more Organisation Cambodian journalist gets 20 months in jail for livestream Help by sharing this information January 21, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Cambodia October 1, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Independent radio station owner will be 91 when released News CambodiaAsia – Pacific News CambodiaAsia – Pacific RSF decries Cambodian plan for Chinese-style “Great Firewall” Reporters Without Borders and the Cambodian Centre for Independent Media are appalled by the 20-year jail sentence that a Phnom Penh court passed today on Radio Beehive owner Mam Sonando for allegedly inciting unrest in the southeastern province of Kratie in mid-May. Aged 71, the independent radio station’s owner will be 91 when he completes the sentence.”Freedom of expression and media freedom are in danger in Cambodia,” the two organizations said. “We call on the authorities to release Mam Sonando at once and to quash this conviction on charges for which there is no evidence.” Sonando, who was previously arrested in 2003 and 2005 for allegedly defaming Prime Minister Hun Sen, was found guilty of “insurrection” and “inciting the use of arms against the state” in connection with a supposed uprising in Kratie with the aim of creating “a state within the state.” A Kratie provincial court issued a warrant for Sonando’s arrest on 2 July, six days after the prime minister called for his arrest in a speech. Sonando was out of the country during the unrest because he had gone to meet with Cambodian activists who had filed a complaint before the International Criminal Court accusing Hun Sen of human rights violations. Hun Sen’s public call for his arrest came the day after Radio Beehive broadcast a report about the ICC complaint.Reporters Without Borders and the Cambodian Centre for Independent Media are very concerned for the future of journalists and human rights defenders in Cambodia, especially in the wake of other incidents in the past month.The journalist Hang Serei Oudom was found murdered in mid-September after implicating local officials in illegal trafficking in timber, while the journalist Ek Sokunthy and his wife told the Phnom Penh Post on 26 September that they had been attacked by a former police officer and two other men for no apparent reason.Cambodia is ranked 117th out of 179 countries in the 2011-2012 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. Receive email alerts News Google experiments drop Australian media from search results News
Oil giant Shell has informed it has started to supply natural gas from the Ineos and Spirit Energy-owned Clipper South field, into the UK gas network via Shell’s Clipper hub in the southern North Sea. The Clipper field is located in the southern part of the UK sector of the North Sea in the Sole Pit area.Clipper South platform / Image Source: IneosAccording to Shell, under a new commercial agreement with Ineos and Spirit Energy, Shell is remotely operating the Clipper South field and transporting the gas through the Clipper hub for processing at Shell’s Bacton terminal in Norfolk. The gas is then fed into the UK National Grid.The unmanned Clipper South platform had relied upon the Lincolnshire Offshore Gas Gathering System (LOGGS) and Theddlethorpe gas terminal to transport its gas to shore. The new Clipper hub to Bacton route will help ensure its continued operation after the planned decommissioning of those assets, Shell said.“Our Clipper hub and upgraded terminal at Bacton are helping to maximize the recovery of gas from the UK North Sea,” said ONEGas Asset Manager, Anne O’Halloran. “We are keen to partner with other companies on similar agreements to help supply gas to homes and businesses across the country.”Shell and ExxonMobil completed a £300 million rejuvenation project at the Bacton gas terminal in 2017, enabling it to handle more gas from offshore fields, Shell said.The Clipper hub is located approximately 41 miles (66 kilometers) from the Norfolk coast and can transport up to 400 million standard cubic feet of gas a day. It produces and processes gas from its own wells, and imports and processes gas from the Barque, Galleon, Skiff, Cutter, and Carrack fields. It is a normally attended installation that comprises five fixed-bridge linked platforms.
“Who are you?”The question was made famous in the chorus of The Who’s 1978 hit.For the USC men’s basketball team (4-4, 0-0), Sunday night’s daunting test at the Galen Center against Rick Barnes and the No. 20 Texas Longhorns (6-1, 0-0) will go a long way toward answering that age-old question as the team finishes out the latter part of its nonconference schedule.Trapped · Junior forward Nikola Vucevic and the Trojans have encountered problems recently. Vucevic missed two free throws in the final seconds in the 64-63 loss to Bradley two weeks ago and USC has lost two in a row. – Tim Tran | Daily TrojanThrough eight games, the Trojans’ only constant has been, in fact their inconsistent play.From late-game fouls, to second-half collapses, to the home court drubbing it received at the hands of Rider, USC coach Kevin O’Neill’s squad enters its stiffest challenge to date.“The only long-term goal I have for this team is that we continue to get better every day,” O’Neill said. “The wins and losses will take care of themselves as we move forward.”But if the team is to notch one in the win column against its upcoming Big 12 foe, it will take much more than a little optimism to get the job done.The Longhorns come to town sporting an array of talented weapons, which more or less starts with the man holding the clipboard, Barnes.Since coming to Texas in 1997, Barnes has led the Longhorns to 12 straight NCAA tournament appearances, 11 straight 20-win seasons and holds the all-time program record for victories by a head coach with 300.Although the team no longer has the likes of All-American Kevin Durant or All-Big 12 First Team Damion James, Barnes’ club is led by an equally gifted athlete, guard/forward Jordan Hamilton — who initially made a name for himself playing at nearby Dominguez High School in Compton, Calif.In six games, Hamilton is averaging 22.7 points per game, 7.2 rebounds per game and connecting on almost 50 percent of his 3-point field goal attempts.The big surprise, however, for the burnt orange in the early going, has been the outstanding all-around play of forward Tristan Thompson. The Ontario, Canada, native has not been shy during his first handful of games for the Longhorns, with 12.2 points, 6.8 rebounds and 2.5 blocks per game.Throw in the experience of guard Dogus Balbay and forward Gary Johnson, and USC’s final game in the 2010 Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series will be far from a cake walk.Although the Trojans’ pulse is unclear at this point — the team has failed to muster more than a two-game win streak — it will continue to ride the double-double capability of its big man, junior forward Nikola Vucevic, who comes into play on Sunday boasting an average of 16 points per game and 10.9 rebounds per game.Although USC is just 1-4 over the last four years in this annual conference showdown, O’Neill and company played against the Longhorns last season — a 69-50 Texas victory in Austin, Texas — not only giving the team added motivation but a leg up in terms of preparation as the week progresses toward Sunday’s 7:30 p.m. tip-off.Despite the mess the team has made in recent weeks, O’Neill — who has made the tournament in his second seasons with Marquette, Northwestern and Tennessee — said he realizes that a college basketball season is not a sprint but a marathon, regardless of who is on the schedule.“In basketball there is no crying. You have to continue play,” O’Neill said. “In our situation, the only thing we can try to do is getting better from now until the end of December.”
OLYMPIA — About two-dozen families in Thurston County will now get support to give their children a great start in life thanks to a recent round of awards from the states Home Visiting Services Account (HVSA). Thurston County Public Health and Social Services was one of 10 grantees statewide. Over the next year, $102,500 will help Thurston County continue work with the Nurse Family Partnership (NFP) to bring proven outcomes such as improved health for pregnant women, fewer childhood injuries, and fewer subsequent pregnancies for families participating in the program. NFP promotes long-term advantages for the community as well through increasing the mothers employment and the childs performance in school.Nurse-Family Partnership has three decades of evidence proving it makes an important difference in the lives of children, families, and communities. said Thurston County Commissioner Sandra Romero. By helping first time moms learn how to be effective parents through ongoing support from public health nurses, Thurston County is investing in the next generation of residents who will have a positive impact on our countys future.Home visiting is a voluntary service in which nurses or other trained professionals meet with at-risk families in their homes and offer information and support related to healthy child and family development. In the Nurse Family Partnership program, these visits happen from once a week to once a month during pregnancy and can continue to a childs third birthday. Evidence shows that when families receive this kind of support, their children are healthier, are less likely to suffer from abuse or neglect and are better prepared for school. In fact, the entire family benefits.Home visiting works, and the Home Visiting Services Account is committed to helping make sure more eligible familiesespecially families in some of our states most at-risk communitieshave access to it, said Nina Auerbach, president and CEO of Thrive by Five Washington, the states public-private partnership for early learning that administers the account. An early investment in families results in stronger families and, ultimately, stronger communities.Since it was created by the Washington state Legislature in 2010, the HVSA has become a national model for leveraging public and private funds to support home visiting programs and has helped Washington invest 10 times more than it did in home visiting just two years ago. As of July 1st, the HVSA has awarded nearly $4 million in grants to 31 evidence-based, research-based and promising home visiting programs serving about 1,000 families in 13 Washington counties. Facebook0Tweet0Pin0
– By John Burton Middletown resident James Paroline, who had worked at two area private schools, remains in federal custody for what federal law enforcement authorities are alleging was inappropriate contact with minor children and for possessing child pornography on his home computer.Paroline, 26, was scheduled for a bail hearing in federal court in Trenton on July 9. But that appearance was adjourned and no new date has yet been set and Paroline continues to be incarcerated, according to William Skaggs, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office.FBI agents executed a search warrant on July 7, confiscating Paroline’s home desktop computer. Investigators determined that on Feb. 26, March 1 and March 2 Paroline allegedly accessed a website and downloaded to his computer material showing prepubescent minors, some of the material showing those as young as infancy to 5, engaged in sexually explicit acts.During an interview with investigators on July 7, having waived his Miranda rights, authorities alleged Paroline admitted while working at the schools he “inappropriately touched minor children,” according to the criminal complaint.Paroline is represented by Andrea Bergman, an assistant federal public defender in Trenton, who did not return calls seeking comment.Federal Authorities in a criminal complaint said Paroline had been working as an assistant at a nursery school and as a summer camp counselor at a private school, both located in Monmouth County. Subsequently, representatives from each of the facilities acknowledged the nursery school is A Child’s Place, Lincroft, and the private school is the Ranney School, an independent pre-K-12 school in Tinton Falls.“We are shocked, upset and disheartened by the charges,” said John Griffith, Ranney’s head of school. Paroline had worked as a sports specialist at the school’s summer camp for the 2013, 2014 and 2015 summers. Prior to that he had worked as a junior camp counselor going back to 2005.Paroline had worked at A Child’s Place for the last two summers.Both facilities fired Paroline upon his July 7 arrest.“We are devastated,” Linda Littenberg, A Child’s Place’s owner, said. “…[W]e cannot express more strongly how shocked, outraged, and concerned we are about this situation.”Littenberg said A Child’s Place employees are cooperating fully with the FBI in its investigation.“Our paramount concern right now is for the children and their families,” Littenberg continued, saying the school has engaged a team of licensed child abuse specialists, “and we are working with our parents to keep them abreast of the situation.”Ranney does “extensive” background checks on all camp staff members are 18 or older, conducted by National Background Investigation, a nationwide company, according to Griffith.Ranney representatives’ “primary concern” is working with authorities during their investigation and “to focus on the safety and well-being” of summer camp participants and their families, Paroline said.Over the course of Paroline’s career, Griffith added, “there was never a complaint about him” and “he had no record of wrongdoing to our knowledge.
By John Burton |RED BANK — The district Board of Education, local state legislators, parents and taxpayers have reason to be happy, with the recent announcement of additional state aid.Public school officials were recently notified the district will be receiving an additional $512,620 for the coming school year. The board of education formally voted to accept the money at its July 18 meeting.“It is good news,” said Board President Frederick Stone, “and we’ll be able to do some things that will be able to help our kids.”The money was made available in the Fiscal Year 2018 Appropriations Act – the state budget. The budget, according to state Department of Education press secretary David Saenz Jr., contains provisions to readjust state education funding distribution for districts that have been subject to underfunding in the past or to provide additional resources for enrollment growth, transportation and other areas.Red Bank school officials and its state legislators have long complained that the local public school district has been inadequately funded based upon the state’s own formula. According to Superintendent of Schools Jared Rumage, over the last six years the district has been underfunded by $4.2 to $7 million in uncapped state aid.Rumage noted state Sen. Jennifer Beck (R-11), who represents and lives in the borough, “has been fighting this battle for years now,” seeking funding equity for the district; state Assembly members Eric Houghtaling and Joann Downey, Democrats who have been in office for less than two years, “have jumped on board as of late,” showing their support, Rumage said.The legislators, along with Rumage, district staffers, board of education members and parents have taken to the streets — quite literally — traveling to Trenton to demonstrate at the state capital building and vent their frustration for Gov. Chris Christie and state lawmakers.“We were able to take our issue and involve other districts that face the same type of situation and make the case,” Beck said of their efforts for Red Bank and Freehold Borough, another underfunded school district in the senator’s legislative district. “And we successfully made that case.”“I don’t think there is any question it made a difference,” Rumage said about the optics and voices on this issue.The money is earmarked to hire additional staff, Rumage said, indicating the funds will allow the district to bring on six new employees, a combination of teachers and instructional aids for the 2017-18 school year.Whether this is a one-shot payment or whether it will be a reoccurring resource for the district, Rumage acknowledged, “It’s hard to say.”Stone said, “I think that’s yet to be determined.”The superintendent said there will be a new governor and Legislature next year, so there’s always a question of what that could mean. However, Rumage and Stone are hopeful.“I believe it’s a step in the right direction for something that’s going to need to be a continuing conversation,” Rumage said.Beck is even more optimistic. “I believe we will see new revenue dedicated to grossly underfunded districts going forward,” she said.Up to this point, the superintendent explained, “We’ve been able to maintain the status quo for years without cutting.” However, he warned, “The issue is what we haven’t been able to add,” in the way of staff and programs.The district has been seeing a continuing increase in enrollment, straining staffing and facilities, he said, noting the district went from about 900 students in 2009 to approximately 1,400 currently.“There are still a lot of challenges,” Rumage said.Those challenges are why “Our focus is on securing additional school aid and working toward long-term solutions that give our local schools stability and security,” said Downey.This article was first published in the July 27 – Aug. 3, 2017 print edition of The Two River Times.