Huge damages award aims to throttle only independent daily

first_img Receive email alerts Organisation November 27, 2020 Find out more to go further Reports Follow the news on Eswatini News December 11, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Huge damages award aims to throttle only independent daily Help by sharing this information Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives June 15, 2020 Find out morecenter_img Reporters Without Borders condemns the exorbitant libel damages that the high court awarded last week against the Times of Swaziland. The record sum of 550,000 lilangeni (41,000 euros) is tantamount to a death sentence for the country’s only privately-owned daily.The court awarded the damages on 3 December to senate president Gelane Simelane-Zwane in connection with a May 2009 article reflecting debates about whether she was a Simelane family member by birth. “This damages award, the largest ever made against a Swazi publication in a libel case, is out of all proportion to the harm the newspaper is alleged to have caused the plaintiff, said Cléa Kahn-Sriber, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Africa desk. In the light of the financial situation of Swaziland’s media, one can only regard this exorbitant award as a government attempt to throttle the country’s only independent daily. We call for this ruling to be overturned as its sole aim is to gag the media.”According to the Media Institute of Southern Africa, the award is twice as much as what the plaintiff, Ms. Simelane Zwane, originally requested. This is indicative of a desire on the part of the authorities to persecute the Times of Swaziland and the country’s media in general.Evidence of this was already seen early this year in the contempt of court proceedings that supreme court chief justice Michael Rambodibedi brought against The Nation editor Bheki Makhubu. Mpendulo Simelane, a judge who is himself an interested party in the case, refused to grant bail to Makhubu on 5 December on the grounds that he might flee, although it was Makhubu who turned himself into the police when he was arrested in March.Africa’s only absolute monarchy, Swaziland is ranked 156th out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. The 2020 pandemic has challenged press freedom in Africa News RSF_en Nearly half of UN member countries have obstructed coronavirus coverage June 29, 2020 Find out more News EswatiniAfrica EswatiniAfrica last_img read more

"Huge damages award aims to throttle only independent daily"

Governor Wolf Announces $5.8 Million to Prepare Youth Reentrants for Good Jobs

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter December 20, 2019 Governor Wolf Announces $5.8 Million to Prepare Youth Reentrants for Good Jobscenter_img Jobs That Pay,  Press Release,  Workforce Development Governor Tom Wolf is investing nearly $5.8 million to provide young adults who were in the justice system with educational, training and skills-building opportunities to better prepare them for good jobs and successful careers that we need in Pennsylvania.“This investment will help those who have interacted with the justice system to get the skills they need for a good job and to build a career,” said Governor Wolf. “Education and job training are crucial to removing barriers to work so people can put their lives back on track and build a stronger workforce in Pennsylvania.“Expanding educational and vocational programs for reentrants is the smart thing to do and a priority for my administration. These grants are a step in that direction.”The Department of Labor & Industry (L&I) awarded $5.8 million for Youth Reentry Demonstration Project grants to 10 local workforce development boards (LWDBs). These programs blend academic and job training, provide connections to area employers in high-priority jobs, support mentorships, and forge connections to education and training.L&I Deputy Secretary for Workforce Development Eileen Cipriani today highlighted the $988,925 grant award for the Workforce Board Lehigh Valley (WBLV) at a press conference in Allentown, where she was joined by Lehigh County Executive Phil Armstrong, Northampton County Executive Lamont McClure, and local workforce, education and county judicial representatives.WBLV’s grant program will integrate the PA CareerLink® Lehigh Valley workforce system into the justice systems of Northampton and Lehigh counties that provide referrals of incarcerated youth to re-engage into education, training and employment. Post-secondary education partners Northampton Community College and Lehigh Carbon Community College will coordinate the education and training needs of participants, and the Pennsylvania Academic and Career/Technical Training Alliance will provide expertise in employability and soft skills.“As Lehigh county executive, I am pleased that a coordination process has already been established for this grant, which will expand, enhance, and streamline connections between the justice and workforce systems to reengage young adults who were incarcerated or were subject to the justice system,” said Lehigh County Executive Phillips M. Armstrong. “Lehigh County fully supports the Lehigh Valley Youth Reentry Demonstration Grant.”The Youth Reentry Demonstration Projects will operate through March 31, 2022. The program supports engaging young adults between the ages of 18 and 24 years old, who were incarcerated or subjected to the justice system, in a career path leading to postsecondary education, job training and gainful employment.“Northampton County and the Workforce Board Lehigh Valley already have a strong connection through the Linking to Employment Activities Pre-Release program, a workforce system within the Northampton County Jail that prepares soon-to-be released inmates with career readiness skills,” said Northampton County Executive Lamont G. McClure. “This coordination process will be enhanced through the Youth Reentry Demonstration Grant, which will engage youth ages 18-24 into education, training, and employment.”“Reentry and reintegration are priorities for Governor Tom Wolf, who is focused on removing employment obstacles to help young adults overcome barriers to post-incarceration success,” said Deputy Secretary Cipriani. “Criminal justice reforms like the Clean Slate Law, coupled with the Wolf Administration’s workforce development initiative PAsmart, are part of the bold, innovative plans that Pennsylvania needs to build the strongest workforce in the nation.”The following 10 LWDBs received Youth Reentry Demonstration Project funds:The Berks County Workforce Development Board (Berks WDB) – A $500,000 grant was awarded to provide educational, social, and cognitive supports to reentrant and justice-affected young adults to prepare them for success in the registered pre-apprenticeship program to Berks Connections: Rebuilding, Reentrants and Reading (R3) Prep for Young Adults.Lackawanna Workforce Development Board – A $500,000 grant was awarded to the Lifeline to Success program to provide intensive, one-on-one case management services; adult mentoring; GED preparation and testing; occupational skills training; work experience; on-the-job training (OJT) opportunities and additional supportive services to increase employment opportunities for 75, 18 to 24-aged young adults in Lackawanna County.Lehigh Valley Workforce Development Board (WBLV) – A $988,925 grant was awarded for the Lehigh Valley Youth Reentry Demonstration Project, to provide referrals of youth who were incarcerated or subject to the justice system, to re-engage them into education, training and employment.Luzerne/Schuylkill Workforce Development Board – A $500,000 grant was awarded forProject REAL (Reconnect, Engage, Advocate and Lead) to provide one-on-one mentoring and individualized services designed to alleviate barriers to employment to a minimum of 50 reentry young adults referred from the courts and other justice-involved organizations.South Central Workforce Development Board – A $500,000 grant was awarded to implement a Youth Reentry program that uses staff, mentorship, technology and post-release engagement to serve 24 incarcerated youth between the ages of 18-24.Southern Alleghenies Workforce Development Board – A $492,509 grant was awarded to the reSTARt Youth program to provide a platform for collaboration between workforce development services, the juvenile justice system, and service providers necessary for strategic removal of barriers faced by youth reentrants, and the vital continuum of care for successful, sustainable, gainful employment.Southwest Corner Workforce Development Board – A $500,000 grant was awarded to the Youth Reentry Cooperative Network (YRCN), a collaborative project between the Southwest Corner Workforce Development Board and the Westmoreland-Fayette Workforce Development Board. The program will provide post-secondary education, soft-skills training, and advanced training and will serve youth ages 18-24 from Beaver, Fayette, Greene, Washington, and Westmoreland Counties who were incarcerated or were subjected to the justice system.Three Rivers Workforce Development Board – A $527,464 grant was awarded to create a partnership between Partner4Work, Allegheny County DHS, Auberle, Allegheny County Jail Collaborative and local programs targeted at foster care young adults. The program will provide young adults with justice system involvement opportunities for targeted workforce training programs that are tied directly to employers.Tri-County Workforce Development Board – A $500,000 grant was awarded for a youth reentry program for 30 young adults, ages 18-24 who were incarcerated or were subjected to the justice system to engage in a career path that leads to postsecondary education, advanced training, or meaningful employment.West Central Workforce Development Board – An $800,000 grant was awarded to a youth reentry program that will conduct needs assessments to determine skill sets and training gaps, need for supportive services, and training options, as well as literacy instruction, career exploration, and mentoring. Youth participants will be placed in paid work experience or on-the job training.The governor’s criminal justice reforms that help reentrants enter the workforce include Clean Slate, a first of its kind initiative helping those who have committed low-level offenses by removing potential roadblocks to jobs, housing, health care, and education. The Wolf Administration has also introduced A Fair-Chance hiring policy, “banning the box,” for state agencies that removes the criminal conviction question from non-civil service employment applications for agencies under the governor’s jurisdiction and eliminating driver’s license suspensions for non-driving infractions.Specific to youth, Gov. Wolf recently announced a bipartisan initiative with the General Assembly and the Pew Charitable Trusts to establish a Juvenile Justice Task Force to assess and report on the current justice system in the state as it pertains to serving youth. As well, Gov. Wolf’s Executive Order for the Protection of Vulnerable Populations engages state agencies and stakeholders to look at how we best serve youth in the juvenile justice system.Governor Wolf is also strengthening job training through his groundbreaking PAsmart program with a focus on skills for in-demand jobs. The governor has secured $70 million for PAsmart over two years, including $40 million for STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) and computer science education and $30 million for apprenticeships, career and technical education, and other job training programs.The Youth Reentry Demonstration Project is 100 percent funded through federal money made available from the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act.For more information about the Youth Reentry Demonstration Project awards, visit the Department of Labor and Industry website.To learn more about pursuing an education and career in Pennsylvania at any stage of life, visit the PAsmart website.last_img read more

"Governor Wolf Announces $5.8 Million to Prepare Youth Reentrants for Good Jobs"

Kuldeep Yadav becomes first Indian to take 2nd international hat-trick

first_imgVisakhapatnam: Kuldeep Yadav on Wednesday took a hat-trick during the second ODI between India and the West Indies at the VDCA Stadium in Visakhapatnam, becoming the first Indian to take two hat-tricks in international cricket.Kuldeep’s hat-trick came in the 33rd over of the West Indies innings. The first man to fall was the in-form opener Shai Hope. Hope went for a sweep off the third ball of the over hoping to get it over the boundary but Indian captain Virat Kohli caught it right at the edge of the boundary. Hope walked on 78 off 85 balls.Yadav then deceived Jason Holder in flight with a googly. The all-rounder missed it altogether and dragged his feet out of the crease. Wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant was alert to it and knocked off the bails while Holder’s foot was still in the air. Kuldeep then bowled a wrong’un from around the stumps towards new batsman Alzarri Joseph. The ball took a thick outside edge and Kedar Jadhav did well to hold on to it at second slip.Kuldeep had previously taken a hat-trick during the 2017 series against Australia at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata. He also has a hat-trick to his name at the U-19 level for India. (IANS)Also read:Magical to watch Messi on the field: Kuldeep Yadav Also watch: AASU Rally Against CAA 2019 in Kokrajharlast_img read more

"Kuldeep Yadav becomes first Indian to take 2nd international hat-trick"