Petrol bomb attack in Derry

first_img RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Previous articleGlengad United through to Second Round of FAI Cup after penaltiesNext articleDublin’s Drive for Five lives on – Reaction to win over Mayo News Highland News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Google+ Google+ Facebook By News Highland – August 11, 2019 Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Petrol bomb attack in Derry Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Homepage BannerNewscenter_img Pinterest Pinterest Facebook Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme WhatsApp WhatsApp Twitter There’s been a petrol bomb attack in Derry.Supt. Gordon Mc Almont said : “At around 10.45pm last night police received a report that 2 petrol bombs had been thrown over the city walls close to the Memorial Hall in Derry/Londonderry.“Last night the Memorial Hall was busy with people socialising after the parade in the City and, while no one was injured, this could have been much different had it not been for the actions of police.“Police who deployed to the area to prevent further disorder were subsequently attacked by persons who threw 15-20 petrol bombs and other missiles in the area of Fahan Street.  A number of pallets were also placed on the street and set on fire.  Fortunately, no injuries were sustained by officers, but this violent behaviour cannot be tolerated.“Calm was restored shortly after 1am and Police remained in the area and monitored the situation throughout the night.“A thorough police investigation is now underway to identify those responsible and seek to bring them before the courts and I would appeal to anyone who has any information about what happened last night to contact police. Alternatively information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 Twitterlast_img read more

"Petrol bomb attack in Derry"

Europe is epicenter of coronavirus pandemic: WHO

first_imgTedros announced that the WHO was launching a coronavirus Solidarity Response Fund. This would to allow people and organizations to contribute to help fund masks, gloves, gowns and goggles for heath workers, as well as diagnostic kits and investment in research and development, including for vaccines.Facebook will match up to $10 million in donations, while Alphabet Inc’s Google will donate $5 million, the WHO and UN Foundation later announced in a joint statement.Social distancing, where people avoid close proximity or touching, is a “tried and tested method” to slow the spread of a virus but “not a panacea” that will stop transmission, the WHO’s top emergency expert Dr. Mike Ryan said.Each country must decide on its own measures to protect its population, he said, adding: “But we’ve also consistently said that blanket travel measures in their own right will do nothing to protect an individual state.” Europe has now become the epicenter of a coronavirus pandemic that has claimed 5,000 lives around the world, “a tragic milestone”, the World Health Organization said on Friday.More than 132,000 cases of the virus have been reported in 123 countries since it emerged in December in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual news conference.”Europe has now become the epicenter of the pandemic with more reported cases and deaths than the rest of world combined apart from China,” he said in Geneva. Detection and isolation of infected people, as well as tracing their contacts and wider testing, must be part of a comprehensive strategy, Ryan said.”As part of an overall comprehensive strategy, there is a place – particularly inside national borders – for potentially restricting movement between zones, as we’ve seen in certain places,” he said.”But there is rarely a justification for blanket bans, unless of course the context and the risk defines that.”US President Donald Trump has announced sweeping travel restrictions to prevent people from 26 European countries – except for Britain and Ireland – from travelling to the United States in a bid to limit the virus spread.A number of other countries in recent days have announced stepped up border checks, and cancelled flights to other countries, in an effort to contain the spread.Trump on Friday declared a national emergency over the fast-spreading coronavirus, opening the door to providing what he said was about $50 billion in federal aid to fight the disease.center_img Topics :last_img read more

"Europe is epicenter of coronavirus pandemic: WHO"